Functional Skills Maths Lecturer - HMP Featherstone
- Full Time
Milton Keynes College is working in partnership with HMP Featherstone to put education at the heart of the prison system.
We are looking for an experienced Functional Skills Math tutor to deliver functional skills in Math to a diverse group of learners within the prison. As part of our offender learning team you will help to develop a strong Functional Skills programme that meets the needs of the learners, prison and Milton Keynes College.
This is an exciting opportunity for a dedicated education professional to deliver high learner success, through effective teaching and delivery in Maths Functional skills.
This vacancy would suit a highly motivated Functional Skills teacher, with a can do approach to education. The ideal candidate will be a passionate and creative lecturer, someone who can thrive upon working within a challenging yet rewarding environment, who can also offer skills & knowledge to our learners and guide them throughout their courses.
HMP Featherstone is a Category C, male, aged 21+ training prison located in Wolverhampton. The last OFSTED inspection was graded as a 2.
The education department work closely with the prison and other providers and career services to create a pathway for prisoners to focus on and work towards, to achieve an end goal and be ready for transfer or release and employment.
We have a strong, committed team which includes teachers who deliver to small cohorts of prisoners offering many courses including maths, English, IT, business, construction, cleaning, practical horticulture and barbering from Entry Level up to Level 2.
Learning is designed to be inspiring and creative and provides a valuable learning experience within a positive environment; where learners can thrive and achieve.
The department believes in making a difference and providing a positive contribution to assist with changing the mind-set of learning and to reducing reoffending.
As a successful candidate you will
- Hold a relevant qualification (level 3 or above) in Mathematics.
- Hold a recognised teaching qualification (DTLLS, PGCE, Cert Ed) or willing to work towards
- Hold relevant assessor/verifier awards.
- Have teaching/training or vocational experience in relevant subject area and relevant up-to-date knowledge.
- Have a proven track record of managing and supporting diverse groups of learners through nationally accredited programmes.
- Have experience of identifying, developing and sharing innovative and creative teaching resources
- Have experience of working with students who may have little experience of education and training (desirable).
- Have knowledge of current curriculum and accreditation developments within Further Education and specific subject area(s).
- Have the ability to teach creatively, adapting to the needs of a variety of learners and willing to explore new teaching and learning strategies.
- Have good IT skills and willing to develop further.
- Show accuracy and precision in written presentation.
The requirement of this role is to work across the whole prison estate, on all wings where education is delivered
Location: HMP Featherstone
Hours: 37 hours per week, 52 weeks per year
Salary: GBP18,015 - GBP32,578 per annum
Closing date: 26th July
More about the rewards
- 35 days annual leave, 3 additional days leave for Christmas to New Year closure and UK Bank Holidays
- Able to apply for an NUS Extra Card and Blue lights card, offering a wide range of High Street Discounts
- Teacher's Pension Scheme
- Childcare Vouchers
- Continued Professional Development Opportunities
- Cycle To Work Scheme
- Access to 'JUICE' the employees' health and wellbeing platform
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Contributions towards Eye Tests for Visual Display users
- Plus, many more
More about the College
Milton Keynes College is proud to be an open and inclusive general Further Education College welcoming learners of all levels and delivering an exceptional educational experience.
The College offers a broad range of qualifications with more than 3, - 18-year-old full-time students studying traditional A Levels, vocational courses, apprenticeships and Higher Education.
In addition, the College delivers employability and key skills training programmes to 3,000 people in local community learning centres and is one of the largest providers of Offender Learning in England, working with 28 prisons across the East Midlands, South Central and West Midlands.
Jobs at Milton Keynes College - Whatever your Direction
Milton Keynes College is a committed "safer recruitment" employer. We take extreme care in ensuring the safety and welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. All positions therefore undergo a stringent vetting process to include DBS for all positions.
We want to develop a more diverse workforce and positively welcome applications from all sections of the community
Milton Keynes College is committed to promoting the safety and welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. All positions therefore require a DBS check.
The College is proactively committed to Sustainable Development through the learning opportunities it delivers, its management of resources and its engagement with communities