Sanctions Monitoring & Testing Assistant Manager
Role Title: Sanctions Monitoring & Testing Assistant Manager
Business: Risk Management
New or Existing Role? Existing
The successful applicant will be part of a Global Sanctions Monitoring and Testing team that provides direction and support to the independent Sanctions Monitoring and Testing activities across Global Businesses, Global Functions, and jurisdictions within the second line of defence, in order to obtain reasonable assurance that the Business is operating in line with relevant laws, regulations, codes and HSBC Group Standards within Financial Crime Compliance.
Impact on Business
To support the implementation of a global approach to completing Sanctions Risk Assessments across Global Businesses, Global Functions and jurisdictions within the agreed timeframes. To assist in the collation of information from prior year's Regulatory and Financial Crime Compliance Assessment (RCA) reports and other relevant reports, in order to complete an initial view of the Sanctions Risk Assessments required to be completed by Country and Business Lines. To assist with the mapping of Sanctions controls to the Sanctions level 3 taxonomy. To provide support to the Country/Regional level Compliance Monitoring and Testing teams for the completion of the Sanctions Risk Assessments. To support the review of the Sanctions Risk Assessments completed by the Country/Regional level Compliance Monitoring and Testing teams, prior to ensuring the appropriate sign-offs are obtained from the Business and FCC Senior Management. To provide input and support for the production and delivery of Sanctions Compliance Monitoring & Testing Plans. Support in responding to requests for assistance and ad hoc queries raised from regional CMAT and FCC teams and / or other stakeholders. To support the review and challenge on Sanctions Monitoring & Testing Reports and MI to both Business and Senior Management. . To support early escalation of significant Sanctions related findings from Compliance Monitoring and Testing and/or Sanctions regulatory breaches derived from the Compliance Monitoring reports to the business and FCC Senior Management in order that appropriate action can be undertaken to rectify. To support the planning, execution and reporting of Global Sanctions Monitoring & Testing reviews.
Customers / Stakeholders
Work closely to support the Global Head of Sanctions Monitoring and Testing. Work effectively with the respective Heads of Sanctions and their teams for the Global Businesses, Global Functions and jurisdictions. Provide support to business planning in relation to Sanctions Compliance Monitoring and Testing risks. Work with other stakeholders such as but not limited to Business Risk Compliance Monitoring (BRCM), Operational Risk, Assurance and Group and Group Internal Audit.
Leadership & Teamwork
Work with the Sanctions Monitoring and Testing Global Managers and the Global Head of Sanctions Monitoring and Testing to provide support to Global/Country/Regional Compliance Monitoring and Testing and FCC Sanctions teams. Support and work with the other FCC Sub function Heads of Compliance Monitoring and Testing and their teams to support the co-ordination across-FCC aspects of the FCC function, and specialist FCC teams Sanctions towards the common goal of managing FCC risks efficiently and effectively.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
Ability to clearly identify business and regulatory implications of analysis and findings and propose strategic solutions. Robust and timely record keeping, evidencing Sanctions monitoring activities undertaken and action taken. Identify, monitor and mitigate top and emerging Sanctions compliance risks. Implement tactical interventions ensuring significant and robust improvement to functional delivery. Administer, monitor and track that all supporting evidence relating to Sanctions Monitoring &Testing reviews are stored in appropriate repositories.
FCC Compliance is going through a period of rapid and deep change both internally and externally. Internally we are restructuring the Group's footprint, ensuring that these businesses are run consistently and globally. The amount of change internally and externally calls for the job holder to be alert and adaptable to developing requirements, whilst also delivering challenging targets.
• Managing the demands of multiple diverse aspects of the role (e.g. operating across more than 60 jurisdictions).
• Implementing and managing a uniform approach to operations, in view of disparate operating procedures already in operation (within the organisation and within departments) and the unique issues, requirements and problems associated with each.
• The jobholder will be required to work as part of a Global team of Sanctions monitoring and testing specialists covering all business lines and functions. In order to meet regulatory expectations and to provide Senior Management with up to date information regarding standards of compliance with applicable rules, a key objective of the role, will be to ensure the Sanctions Risk Assessments and the Annual Compliance Monitoring and Testing plans are delivered on time.
Management of Risk
• Be aware of the Operational Risk, primarily Business Regulatory Risk associated with the business. Monitor in accordance with the Principal Accountabilities set out above.
• Playing an active role in supporting management of the Compliance Risk Assessment and annual CMAT planning process across different business lines on an ongoing basis.
Observation of Internal Controls
• Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
To assist in the discharge of accountabilities set out in the Legal & Compliance FIMs by proactively assisting FCC/RC Compliance Managers in their responsibilities to assist management in identifying and containing compliance risk, monitoring, reporting and certification, fostering a compliance culture and optimising relations with regulators.
• Good working knowledge and understanding of Sanctions.
• Practical knowledge of Global Line of Business products and services.
• Expertise and experience of Financial Crime Compliance Risk.
• Significant compliance or relevant audit / risk experience covering a wide range of business areas.
• Knowledge of key Sanctions regulatory change initiatives and their impacts on the businesses.
• An excellent understanding of the regulatory environment and expectations, interpretation of rules and guidance together with and other relevant regulations, codes and HSBC Group Standards.
• Ability to support decisions with sound reasoning.
• Ability to clearly articulate the business and regulatory implications of analysis and findings.
• Highly motivated self starter with proven ability to work collaboratively within teams and to deliver on time.
• Experience of working in an international or global compliance function.
• Excellent oral, written communication and presentation skills, inter-personal skills and dealing with executives at all levels.
• Possess the ability and drive to raise standards and make an impact on the FCC business culture.
• Ability to operate with clear vision under stress in crisis management situations and operate effectively against uncertain and on unfamiliar ground.
• Confidence to interact with the influential senior management within FCC and the regional and local businesses.
• Demonstrable Financial Services Experience
• Strong organizational skills
• Ability to apply technical knowledge to enhance the commercial success of FCC.
• Strong understanding of the key principles of the theory of risk assessment and monitoring and testing.
• Strong analytical skills including a high level of excel proficiency.
• Experience of participating in cross border projects and undertaking functional reviews.
• Ability to develop practical and cost effective solutions to complex global issues.
• HSBC knowledge and ideally a network of HSBC contacts
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to creating a diverse environment.
Salary: . Date posted: 11/07/2017