Laboratory Technician / Instructor
- Full Time
The laboratories that the post holder would be servicing are used for daytime A Level and BTEC classes, and also for evening GCSE science classes. The laboratories serve classes in Physics, Chemistry and Biology. The Science Community will provide a means for our learners to experience the subject beyond the confines of the curriculum.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- To assist lecturers with demonstrations and practical classes.
- To assist teaching and schools liaison staff in the promotion of the College's maths and science provision at open events.
- To undertake such duties as required of a Science Technician in relation to: preparing reagents, samples and specimens; disposing of chemicals and biological materials appropriately; cleaning specialised glassware, fume cupboards and laboratory sinks; keeping laboratories and store rooms in good order.
- To develop the Science Community within the College, setting up and running science clubs, engaging with higher education colleagues and raising the profile of Science within the College.
- To assist in the organisation of a range of local, national and international trips and excursions to relevant institutions.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Is qualified to at least A Level or equivalent and preferably is a recent graduate.
- Has gained experience in a scientific technical background.
- Has good organisational skills.
- Is an outstanding communicator.
- Has experience of stock control.
- Has the ability to work with flexibility.
- Has, or is quickly able to establish, good links with representatives of the local science community at local universities and employers.
What's in it for you?
The college offers and excellent benefits package which includes:
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- 24 Days Annual Leave rising to 30 days after 5 years' service (plus bank holidays and Christmas closure period)
- Excellent Training and Development Opportunities
The closing date for completed applications is 19 th July 2017.
This college is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All college based positions are subject to enhanced DBS check and are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.